I have released four recipe books so far:

The Best of the Sunny Raw Kitchen
The Best of Raw Freedom Community
Delightfully Raw and
Deliciously Raw

These feature some of the most delectable creations to have come out of my raw kitchen and will appeal to anyone interested in a healthier diet, regardless of their level of knowledge and experience. From easy one-step everyday fare to more elaborate and involved gourmet dishes and layered cakes, they offer something for everyone and every occasion. Incredibly tasty smoothies, creamy and comforting warm soups, sexy salads, delicious nut cheezes, satisfying entrees and scrumptious guilt-free desserts...

Healthy food never tasted so good!

To learn more about my recipe books, click here!

Monday, August 25, 2008

Recipe of the Week: Basil & Black Olive Pasta

It's been a pretty intense week! We had a couple of friends from Calgary here for a short visit. Then Pontifex came to hang out with us during his days off. Even though I hadn't been feeling motivated to play much in the kitchen lately, I couldn't feed all this company just crackers and spreads, now could I?

Some of the yummies I've prepared include dolmas, Fajitas, Jalapeno Burgers, pasta with pesto sauce and Rosemary-Garlic Mashed Potatoes served with mushroom gravy. On the dessert front, I still had some Mulberry & Cream Tarts and Black Forest Cherry Cake in the freezer which came in handy. As our friends brought some Thai young coconuts from the city (yay!), I jumped on the opportunity to treat them with Cafe Gratitude's amazing Coconut Cream Pie. They had never tasted young coconuts before, and of course were immediately hooked. (By the way, did you know that CG is releasing a new raw dessert book soon? Woo Hoo!)

We served the pie with a lovely peach sauce Don whipped up.


I also made a strawberry pie on a chocolate crust which I served with Heathy's Chocolate Sauce.


But as you can see, it had a wee bit of trouble holding its shape.
Ah well... It happens!


Since I can't share this recipe just yet as it needs more tweaking, I decided to go with a pasta dish I've been enjoying since my getting sick earlier this month. I couldn't stomach anything tasting too intense for a little while, so I came up with this delicate and lightly flavored combination. I love how simple it is to prepare, not to mention that it's perfect for the abundance of zucchinis at this time of year.


Basil & Black Olive Pasta

Serves 3

2 medium size zucchinis, spiralized into noodles (I used a mixture of angel and spaghetti)
3 or 4 large basil leaves, finely slivered
6 kalamata olives, finely slivered
1/4 cup cubed red bell pepper
1/2 small patty pan or yellow squash, cubed (optional)
1 or 2 tablespoons olive oil
Tamari or salt, to taste
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1 fresh garlic clove, crushed or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried tarragon
Pinch cayenne

Toss noodles with other ingredients and serve immediately.

Optional: Serve topped with mushroom slices marinated in a little olive oil, tamari, garlic and tarragon.

Carmella's Notes:
~ I've also made this with chopped tomato. Delish!

~ I'd recommend not adding the salt/tamari until the last minute as it will cause the zucchini to 'weep'.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. Carmi - I can't thank you enough for all the time and effort you put into these recipes and your blog. I can't tell you how much it has helped me and my kids. Thank you so much!!! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sad the pic of the pasta dish isn't working but the recipe sounds amazing and easy! Love kalamata olives and fresh basil. I can imagine the wonderful aroma.

    Also, yummy on the desserts! I need to get in the kitchen! I've been so lazy this summer.

    Hope you're on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love when the title of a post makes you do a double take. I was puzzled when I first read the olive pasta title, followed by those sweet desserts. But, then came the savory dish I was looking for. How did you know I sometimes like dessert first? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm eating this right now and it is sooo good! I'm a bit afraid of nutritional yeast, but it is not overpowering in this recipe at all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! And thank you Star for bumping this up. I was just thinking I felt like something light and this fits the bill perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just wanted to say Thank you for all the years I have been following your blog. Amazing how wonderful things turn out.

    love your blogs and recipes.

    Rhonda D

    ReplyDelete