I have released four recipe books so far:

The Best of the Sunny Raw Kitchen
The Best of Raw Freedom Community
Delightfully Raw and
Deliciously Raw

These feature some of the most delectable creations to have come out of my raw kitchen and will appeal to anyone interested in a healthier diet, regardless of their level of knowledge and experience. From easy one-step everyday fare to more elaborate and involved gourmet dishes and layered cakes, they offer something for everyone and every occasion. Incredibly tasty smoothies, creamy and comforting warm soups, sexy salads, delicious nut cheezes, satisfying entrees and scrumptious guilt-free desserts...

Healthy food never tasted so good!

To learn more about my recipe books, click here!

Sunday, December 2, 2007

Recipe of the Week: Spinach & Cream Pasta Casserole

Spinach being one of my favorite greens, I was looking for new delicious ways to serve it a few days ago. I decided to browse through Recipe Zaar to see if anything would spark up my interest, and my efforts paid off. You'd be amazed at how many cooked dishes can easily be converted into raw!

I actually found quite a few versions of the following recipe, all invariably calling for some kind of pasta tossed with a creamy cheese sauce and sauteed spinach. Sounded simple enough to tackle and give it a raw twist! I was quite pleased with the result. It certainly was a hit with Don and even our neighbor, Livina, who happened to drop by just in time for a taste.



Spinach & Cream Pasta Casserole


Serves 4

Pasta
2 or 3 zucchinis, peeled

Make linguine size pasta with the help of a spiral slicer. (Although any type/size would work well too.)

Sauce
1 cup cashews and/or macadamias
1/2 to 3/4 cup water (depending on desired thickness)
1 garlic clove
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tsp salt

Grind nuts until fine then add other ingredients and blend until smooth.

Marinated Spinach
2 cups spinach, thinly sliced (or more, to taste)
1/2 tbs olive oil
1/2 tbs oregano
1/8 tsp salt

Place all ingredients in a bowl and massage to wilt the spinach.

Marinated Criminis
1 cup crimini mushrooms, sliced

Toss mushrooms in a little olive oil and tamari, and let marinate for at least 1 hr.

Pine Nut Parmesan
1/2 cup macadamias
1/2 cup cashews
2 Tbs pine nuts
1 Tbs lemon juice
1Tbs flax meal
1 clove crushed garlic
1Tbs nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp salt

First process macadamias and cashews until ground. Then add the rest of the ingredients and process until well mixed. You don’t want to overprocess the pine nuts as they release a lot of oil.

Assembly
Toss the noodles with the sauce. Gently fold in the spinach and half of the marinated mushrooms (save the rest for garnish).

Place mixture in a dish.

Sprinkle with Pine Nut Parmesan.

Top with remaining mushrooms.

Dehydrate at 110 degrees for 1 hour (optional)


Carmella's Notes:
You'll probably have extra sauce and parmesan, but I'm sure you'll find some way to use the left-overs.

Oh, and the parmesan freezes really well too.

Enjoy!


Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

6 comments:

  1. This looks amazing!! you are a truly inspired chef!! raw-k on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Carmella,

    Wow! You just keep making great and greater foods every time I stop by here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I made a version of this with mushrooms, red bell peppers, and spinach and it really made my mouth happy!

    Thank you so much. I really enjoy reading your blog! It RAWKS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Carmella, it didn't take me long to try this winner. ;-) Didn't have pine nuts on hand so I skipped the parmesan. I sampled it and it was yummy nonetheless. I'm serving it for lunch in about 1 1/2 hours from writing this. Will let you know the verdict but I'm extremely confident that the my Mommy and Hubby will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh THANK YOU! This was SO yummy! I think I might have eaten the whole thing if others at the table hadnt been hungry - lol. I will use this with dandelion greens in the spring also. We call it "Scalloped Spinach & Mushrooms"

    ReplyDelete
  6. My hubbies all time favorite, thank you!

    ReplyDelete